Healthcare Reform: Obamacare versus Trumpcare – Where do you stand?
Who believes they have an understanding of the current healthcare law, The Affordable Care Act? Now, who has an understanding of President Trump and his administrations direction for changing the law??
This brown bag session will highlight the current ACA law and what is to be expected from the Trump White House when it comes to business owners and the employee benefits you provide your employees. If you every had questions but were not sure who or what to ask, now is your chance! John McGraw is an Employee Benefits Advis0r for TWG Insurance in Winchester, VA. He is a licensed Health and Life insurance broker, a certified Affordable Care Act Advisor and a member of the National and Virginia Association of Health Underwriters. Please join John in this ever changing hair raising discussion!
This complimentary educational lunch series offers a wide variety of topics presented by Chamber member experts. Lunch is provided and there is no fee for members ($15 for future members) Luncheons begin at 11:30 a.m. with lunch and a networking session, speaker begins at noon and questions & answers at 12:45 until 1 p.m. Sponsored by Main Street Daily Grind. RSVP here.
The Economic Development Authority announced today that its Annual Report 2016 has been delivered to the Community and is now posted on EDA’s web site: wceda.com/abouteda. “We enjoy the process of reporting on our activities during the previous fical year,” said Jennifer McDonald, Executive Director of the EDA. “It becomes a living inventory of our accomplishments as well as a measurement instrument for our direction forward in accomplishing the goals set forth by the Board of Directors through our Strategic Plan.”
EDA’s accomplishments for 2015-16 include:
- Assisted (67) businesses with location or expansion in Front Royal-Warren County in fiscal year 2015-16; Created 235 new jobs, including 107 industrial jobs, 32 retail jobs, 21 office jobs, 18 trade related jobs, 19 restaurant jobs, 3 technology jobs, and 35 temporary construction jobs.
- Assisted Toray Plastics America and Interbake expansions projected to create an additional investment of $62 million and 61 new manufacturing jobs; Sold 30 acres at Avtex to ITFederal, LLC, a data processing company that will build a 67,000 square foot facility in three phases to house technology jobs (at salaries ranging from $40,000/year to $120,000/year) and mixed-used retail; ITFederal is due to break ground on this project in Spring 2017.
- Served as Project Manager for the Leach Run Parkway project connector between John Marshall Highway and Happy Creek Road; this project is 2/3 complete and projected for completion in June 2017.
- In discussions with developers/users for the Afton Inn (Main Street anchor building);
- Continued work with a potential user of the old Town Hall building;
- Continued work with Town on a connector road between Kendrick Lane and West Main Street creating a traffic short-cut and connection to downtown Front Royal;
- Continued work on building a 36-unit workforce housing project to serve the middle income workers of Front Royal-Warren County. This project was approved by the Front Royal Town Council on November 14, 2016;
- Created a regional entrepreneur networking club, VENture (Valley Entrepreneur Network); that met monthly for two years and populated the first regional entrepreneurship competition;
- Developed a regional entrepreneur competition in partnership with SBDC, NSVRC, People Inc., Shenandoah County, Clarke County, Page County, etc., encompassing the Northern Shenandoah Valley Planning District area. This program of education and competition has been highly acclaimed throughout the region and at the SBA in Richmond Virginia; Currently working on the second year of the program (RISE 2017);
- Assembled the Workforce Roundtable committee of community leaders, industry leaders, public school officials to address workforce challenges;
- Became host site (at Avtex) for CDL Training through Lord Fairfax Community College Workforce Solutions.
This is just some of the work outlined by the EDA in their Annual Report 2015-16. “We’ve had a very busy and productive year and look forward to completing several large projects in 2017. Our commitment is to the health of our community and quality of life for its citizens,” said McDonald.
For more information and to read the Report, www.wceda.com/abouteda.
It is time once again for our BEST Networking event of the holiday season!
When: Tuesday, December 20th, 5:30-7 p.m.
Where: 223 N. Royal Ave.
This promises to be a good time! Mark your calendar and plan to attend. As in previous years, there will be an admission fee of $5 (you can donate more if you like) to attend the event. All money collected will go directly to the Warren County Department of Social Services Foster Care Program and will be used to purchase Christmas gifts and necessities for children in the program. Last year, attendees generously donated nearly $1000 to help brighten the holidays for children in need.
About our host:
Aire Serv is a family owned and operated heating and air conditioning business since 1999. Can’t seem to get your air conditioner or heater to work efficiently? Time to schedule maintenance? Turn to your local heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) experts in Front Royal! Aire Serv® handles heating and cooling services in the Shenandoah Valley and the surrounding areas. We are proud to offer 100% workmanship and product performance guarantees, giving you peace of mind when you call on Aire Serv. Visit http://www.aireserv.com/bull-run/ and like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/AireServofbullrun/ to keep up with all that’s happening.
Spend a couple of hours catching up with friends, making new business contacts, and enjoying good food and drink at Business After Hours – one of the Chamber’s most popular and successful, on-going networking events! This monthly networking event hosted by a Chamber member business, offer attendees a relaxed but purposeful networking atmosphere, capped off with some great drawings and giveaways. Business After Hours is held on the third Tuesday of each month from 5:30 – 7 p.m. RSVP here.
Please join the folks at CBM Mortgage as they celebrate the opening of their newly renovated office space on October 27th beginning at 3 pm. More information here.